RHB. d.w. 279pp.
Calvin for the 21st Century is an edited compilation of the stimulating addresses given at the Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary’s annual conference in August 2009, at Grand Rapids, Michigan. The book contains a wealth of information and practical applications about how to use Calvin’s thought in our challenging day. Topics include Calvin on preaching Christ from the Old Testament, missions, the church, Scripture, the Spirit’s work, redemption, ethics, believers’ benefits, the early church, reprobation, marriage, and reforming the church.
A highlight is Ligon Duncan’s chapter on “The Resurgence of Calvinism in America.” The book concludes with a summary chapter by the editor, Joel Beeke, who expounds twelve reasons Calvin is important for us today. Additional writers include Jerry Bilkes, Michael Haykin, Nelson Kloosterman, David Murray, Joseph Pipa, Neil Pronk, Donald Sinnema, Derek Thomas, and Cornel Venema.
If you can afford only one of the books published on Calvin that commemorated the 500th anniversary of his birth, this is the one to get! Written at laypeople’s level, and retaining a flavor of the spoken style, it is informative, stimulating, and practical.
Table of Contents:
Preface – Joel R. Beeke
1. What Kind of Love Is This? – Dr. David Murray
Calvin and the Bible
2. Calvin on the Word of God – Dr. Gerald Bilkes
3. Calvin on Preaching Christ from the Old Testament – Dr. David Murray
Calvin the Theologian
4. Calvin on the Holy Spirit – Dr. Joseph Pipa
5. Redemption: Speaking Peace in the 21st Century – Dr. Derek Thomas
6. Union with Christ, the “twofold Grace of God,” and the “Order of Salvation” in Calvin’s Theology – Cornelis Venema
7. Calvin’s View of Reprobation – Donald Sinnema
Calvin and the Church
8. Calvin’s Doctrine of the Church – Rev. Neil Pronk
9. Calvin on Reforming the Church – Dr. Derek Thomas
10. Calvin and Missionary Endeavor of the Church – Dr. Michael Haykin
11. Calvin on the Early Church – Ligon Duncan
Calvin the Ethicist
12. Calvin on Ethics – Nelson Kloosterman
13. Christian Marriage in the 21st Century: Listening to Calvin on the Purpose of Marriage – Dr. Michael Haykin
Calvin and His Contemporary Impact
14. The Resurgence of Calvinism in America – Dr. Ligon Duncan 15. Why is Calvin Important Today? – Dr. Joel Beeke